Killyleagh, N.I.

Monday, April 12, 2010

On a rare sunny Sunday Sir and I jumped in the car and headed in search of more 'new' places in N.I. to visit. Cue Killyleagh. Not new to Sir, but very new to me. And I can't believe it has taken me so long to discover such a gorgeous little village so close to me!.

This is as close as I could get without trespassing!

The main thing that hits you as you drive into the village is the very impressive Killyleagh Castle. On gettting out to take some shots I discovered this is actually an inhabited castle! How amazing! Four hundred years ago Gawn Rowan Hamilton's ancestor James Hamilton arrived in Co Down and settled in Killyleagh Castle (if you are interested in reading about the family and the history check out this link). I also discovered that the towers of the castle have been converted into self-catering appartments - now that would be an impressive place to stay!


Apparently the top of the towers are used as patios.

Apart from the gorgeous castle, the main street of Killyleagh is so quaint, with all the buildings painted different pastel shades and dotted with lovely looking cafe's and pubs. Unfortunately as it was early on Sunday none of the spots were open, but Sir did inform me that the cafe there is very good. I think I may be back!
View of the castle at the end of the main street

A short amble finds you at the shores of Strangford Lough and a new delevlopment of houses over looking the water. Well...Sir was in love! I've never seen him so exited about a place. His dream would be to have a house with access to water so that he could get up in the morning and fling his kayak in and go off for a day long padle. I have to say I wouldn't complain with that kind of set-up either! It really was gorgeous, helped a lot no doubt by the gloriously sunny day. Sir is wanting to sell his house in ther next year or so, and I have a feeling he may be looking for his new one near here! The only issue is the commute to work.

We spent the rest of the day in a nearby country park called Delamont Country Park (including compulsory picnic and then Mr Softy icecream of course!). Unfort I didnt take any photos here - sorry guys!! But it was a lovely place so I'm sure I'll be back.

xxx

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Beautiful!! Hope you enjoy another sunny day, today! (Saw you on SITS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW great shots! Love it.
    Stopping by from SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just happened to see this site. My wife and I were over for my wife's aunt's (Morrow) funeral in November 2009. It hasn't changed much since our earlier trips. We still love to go back every few years. A great place for photos and the usual stop at the Dufferin Arms.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe