Reversible Tote Bag and Fabric Flower

Monday, March 08, 2010

My friends birthday was coming up and I was trying to think of what to get her. She is quite a 'crafty' person herself and loves making her own cards in particular, so I thought she might appreciate a 'home-made' pressie!

So I set about making a tote bag (since this was my latest achievement - see previous post!). This time I decided to follow a tutorial and found a brilliant one on Skip To My Lou, which is actually reversible - bonus! Again I had to use what material I had to hand, this time it was very sturdy fabric from Ikea (white with black 'bunting').



I was a bit stumped as to what to make the lining with as nothing I had really went with the Ikea fabric. After a bit of searching around I found a flowery scarf which I had bought from Primark, but not yet used, and thought I might as well use that!!!


I was a bit nervous about making the straps, as it requires you to fold the fabric over 4 times, and I was worried my needle might break. So I adapted it slightly and only folded it three times. However, I think I should have stuck to the 4! Saying that, it worked out fine anyway. I really liked the method for finishing off the opening of the bag, and actually using this as the place to turn the bag the right way round. It ended up looking very professional (well...in my opinion anyway!).

As an added bonus I decided to make a pretty fabric flower brooch out of some of the remaining lining fabric. I found a very good tutorial for it at Wise Craft. The button is just one I had in the house. I recon the brooch turned out very well and I know my friend really loved it.



I was running late for her party when I remembered to take photos of this bag before wrapping so they aren't the best. And I forgot to take a photo of it in the 'reversed' option too!!! Whoops!

I really loved how this bag turned out, and I especially loved the thickness of the Ikea fabric, it really helps keep the bag in shape and I know itill be sturdy enough to carry loads. It was very hard to give it away...thick I may have to make one for myself!!!

xxx


P.S. Since I used Skip to My Lou's tutorial, I thought it would only be appropriate to join in in her 'Made by You Mondays'! Click the link above to check out loads of other things people have been making! :)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I love the bag, and the fabric is beautiful, oh, and I love your blog's background too.
    It seems that I love everything down here ;)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe